Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Surinam Cherry "Guaruja Red". Fruit variability

This was my largest single day harvest of fruit from my seedling tree that I named Guaruja Red.  The tree is a four years old seedling, that first fruited two years ago.  It is a vigorous grower, and it's around 8-9 ft high now.  The fruit size and shape vary significantly, from very small, 4-5 mm to over an inch in diameter.  Small and medium fruits are seedless, and the large fruits are seeded.  The seeded fruits have more pronounced ribs. On May 22, I collected the first seeded fruits this season.  All fruits before this date were seedless.  The pictures below show the variability of fruit collected on the same day.  The fruit quality is very good, sweet and complex.


Check our sales site if we have the cuttings available reallygoodplants.com

2 comments:

Frost tolerance of Himalayan Mulberries

 The past winter of 2023-2024 was the second test for my Himalayan mulberries frost tolerance. I have five two-years old trees of four culti...