Friday, January 1, 2021

Do mulberries root?

Update on 2/17/2024

Himalayan Naples can be rooted at least in the cloner. I see a well-developed root on one of two cuttings placed in the cloner about a month ago.

More info in this video:


Update on 1/4/2024

Himalayan Skinner Mulberry can root pretty efficiently in a cloner, at least from the thin green cuttings taken in December. Here I have a picture and the video link of my results after 2.5 week in a cloner. Eight out of 11 cuttings formed the roots.

The video link to my YouTube Short:



Update on 12/10/23

1. All accessions with the “?” in the below table will root.
2. At least two people rooted Skinner using summer wood. I will stick the thin green cutting into the cloner today and will report back the results.


Update on 12/9/21 with more data I have by now:




The info below was originally published on 1/1/21.
This is a summary of my personal experience with rooting different mulberry cultivars.


Cuttings from these cultivars are occasionally available at reallygoodplants.com

7 comments:

  1. Shangri-La is also known for easily rooting. I was wondering if you're familiar with Tehama variety please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had excellent luck rooting Tehama with 0.3% IBA and bottom heat. 100% rooted in my trial.

      Delete
  2. Hi Ben, thank you for the info on Shangri-La rooting. I know nothing about Tehama, never had it

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always have such great notes, dates, data, etc. How do you organize your notes...on paper?...an app?...spreadsheet?...calendar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sandy, I keep track of my plants and grafts in Airtable. It’s a database that is a phone app and available in a spreadsheet interface in your computer browser. I like it very much. You can do as many tables and projects as you like. Only when you reach certain limit of entries you will need to start paying for it. I’m not there yet

    ReplyDelete

Frost tolerance of Himalayan Mulberries

 The past winter of 2023-2024 was the second test for my Himalayan mulberries frost tolerance. I have five two-years old trees of four culti...