Saturday, February 1, 2020

Navel Oranges and Cocktail Grapefruits

Navel Oranges

Three different navel oranges here, left to right: Early Navel, Washington Navel, and Robertson Navel

The Early Navel is sweet but simple; it maybe over its prime time by now. The Washington Navel is very complex with the most acidity out of these three. The Robertson Navel is my winner for today.  Very sweet, flavorful, and juicy.

Cocktail grapefruits from two different locations

I have a graft of Cocktail grapefruit that was fruiting for couple of years already.  Today I was gifted another Cocktail grapefruit from a different location.  My fruit picked today is on the left.  The fruit on the right is an order of magnitude sweeter.  It was picked probably days or a week earlier.  The rind could shrink in storage, I suspect.  Does anyone know if there is just one Cocktail or there are more? The differences could be due to the environmental factors, or they could be different fruits.  My husband thinks they are not of the same cultivar.



2 comments:

  1. I think there's two different cocktails out there. The one I got from the Sunset Nursery in Yuma and then from scions from CCPP are the large fruited one that tastes ok, but I've seem and bought the smaller orange sized ones from the store that tastes much better.

    ReplyDelete

Frost tolerance of Himalayan Mulberries

 The past winter of 2023-2024 was the second test for my Himalayan mulberries frost tolerance. I have five two-years old trees of four culti...