Saturday, March 23, 2024

Frost tolerance of Himalayan Mulberries


 The past winter of 2023-2024 was the second test for my Himalayan mulberries frost tolerance. I have five two-years old trees of four cultivars, Naples, two Skinners, Taiwanese Long, and DMOR9. I also have one year old trees of these cultivars plus two trees of Steve Murray Himalayan.

The new shoot development observed on March 22 of 2024 confirmed the frost tolerance data I had last year: https://youtu.be/mtrUIJL1sJ8?si=fSJ3mkQf4iAF-AbU

As recorded in spring of 2023, Naples was the most damaged by the frosts and DMOR9 was the least damaged. 

This spring of 2024 recoding is under this link https://youtu.be/vFbuMc4Nhb0?si=-DkNqvUMi4aprtCN

Our lowest temperature this past winter was 24F.

While I have a new one-year old Napes, I could not clearly see if it will re-sprout or not. I may add the info on this later.

The frost tolerance of the cultivars I grow as following, starting from the most tolerant and ending with the most frost sensitive:

  • DMOR9
  • Taiwanese Long
  • Skinner
  • Steve Murray 
  • Naples 

The scions of these cultivars might be available during our winter and spring sales at reallygoodplants.com

6 comments:

  1. Looking forward on getting some scion on the DMOR9.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will have them again for sale in December

      Delete
  2. I was really happy with the scionwood I got here on RGPs. I'll definitely be back for more in December.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marta, are you familiar with the "Red Himalayan" variety going around? I read somewhere that it traces back to Exotica nursery. I'm wondering if it's a synonym with something in your collection. I have a couple of new grafts on the same tree as DMOR09

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what that one is. I heard that the Exotica one is the same as the Fruit and Spice Park Red Himalayan. I just grafted the FSP one.

      Delete

Frost tolerance of Himalayan Mulberries

 The past winter of 2023-2024 was the second test for my Himalayan mulberries frost tolerance. I have five two-years old trees of four culti...