Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Feijoa tasting in September

 

6 ( Marta 6, my seedling) - just ok for this fruit. I don’t think it ripened on the tree

7 ( Marta 7, my seedling)- good flavor but no sugar yet. These were the prematurely dropped fruits 

KK ( Kakariki ) - not ready at all

KT ( Kaiteri ) - I pulled these 2 fruits from the tree. Nice flavor and texture but these need a week or more on the tree

10 ( Marta 10, my seedling) - almost there. Very nice sweet flavor, but the main harvest will be in October 

CW ( Chesterwoody ) - ripe, flavorful but not overly sweet, gritty. The only ripe feijoa I have now in September, harvesting for at least 2 weeks already.

5 comments:

  1. Did you try eating the skin of the Kaiteri?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The skin is thin and not bitter. Yes, this cultivar can be consumed with the skin. I also tried eating the skin of Chesterwood and Marion which started ripening now. These two have too thick and/or bitter skin to consume

      Delete
    2. I've got it growing as well. The one fruit I left is multi times larger than anything else growing locally. I'm kinda excited to take a bite right through the side for some reason. Why no Takaka? Will you be crossing these with yours?

      Delete
    3. I will add Takaka later, currently I reached the space limits in my yard. No plans for creating feijoa hybrids for now, too many projects are going on already

      Delete

Frost tolerance of Himalayan Mulberries

 The past winter of 2023-2024 was the second test for my Himalayan mulberries frost tolerance. I have five two-years old trees of four culti...