Sunday, October 31, 2021

Gilroy Mall feijoas

 Back in December of 2016, I tasted feijoa fruits from the plants at Gilroy Mall. A couple of bushes were still abundantly producing tasty fruits. 

Two photos below are from December 10, 2016,

I collected the scions from these in the following spring, grafted onto seedlings and planted them in ground in Vacaville. I named them Gilroy Corner and Gilroy End. These year I have fruits on both plants and they just started dropping the fruits on October 30.

The tasting is from October 31, 2021.

Gilroy End - very juicy, sweet and nicely flavored with a little acidity. Insignificant grit. Very good fruit overall.

Gilroy Corner - does not seem to be ready yet, but it seems to have good potential. I will retaste it later in the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frost tolerance of Himalayan Mulberries

 The past winter of 2023-2024 was the second test for my Himalayan mulberries frost tolerance. I have five two-years old trees of four culti...