Friday, June 18, 2021

Mulberries in June of 2021

 Buluklu is the queen of the June show. Pakistan White still produces a good amount of fruit. Himalayan DMOR9 is mostly done, this was my earliest mulberry.

Buluklu in the below image. Very sweet melting berries.

Buluklu, Pakistan White, and the last smallish berries of Himalayan DMOR9 by the end of the month.

Early in the month I had good sized DMOR9 fruits, image below


Black Prince is fruiting on my young trees and grafts, three pictures below 
Plenty of Pakistan fruits

Maple leaf is still a good producer this month, 2 images below 
Still plenty of Oscar fruits. 
Four Seasons mulberry fruits are sweet and flavorful by the mid June, see them in the image below.
And the Persian Morus nigra LA just starting to get ripe 

There are a few black fruits on my Morus nigra Kaester too.

Plants or scions for some of these cultivars are occasionally available at reallygoodplants.com

2 comments:

  1. I have the white pakistan and the purple. They try to fruit too early here and the fost gets the berries. Last year a bad freeze of 8 degrees F. froze the tree down to the graft. Looking to buy some with big fruit later with more cold resistance.
    I have big native black and white that are cold resistant and had lots of berries. What would you think would work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOur best bet is Black Prince that is originated in Ukraine. Then, I would try Mashhad (from Iran) too as it leafs late.

      Delete

Frost tolerance of Himalayan Mulberries

 The past winter of 2023-2024 was the second test for my Himalayan mulberries frost tolerance. I have five two-years old trees of four culti...