Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Blueberries, the first real harvest

 Blueberries turned out to be one of the most challenging plants to grow here in Davis. This was until about a year and half ago, when I followed an advice to grow them in large pots. Last year I already had some berries from a couple of my potted plants and today I picked a bowl from each Reveille (left) and Southmoon plants. 

The Reveille fruits seem to be larger and sweeter than Southmoon, but this could be due to the sunnier location. This plant has almost full day of sun:

While my Southmoon plant is mostly in the shade:

Both plants grow in a peat moss rich mix with added sulfur and occasionally get a balanced fertilizer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Frost tolerance of Himalayan Mulberries

 The past winter of 2023-2024 was the second test for my Himalayan mulberries frost tolerance. I have five two-years old trees of four culti...